Saturday, July 9, 2011

Bruiser

     I know. I know. I missed Autofill Thursday. I'm not doing one this week. Sorry. And even worse, I'm not doing one for awhile--I'm on VACATION!!! So, you'll just have to wait. I apologize deeply and sincerely.
     Right now, I am sitting in a hotel in Nashville, Tennessee, on my way to Washington, D.C. and eventually New York City. And I am coming to you with a book review.
     Now, before any road trip, I always stock up on books. This time, I have between ten and twelve, depending on if you count homework/non-fiction as books. The book I am about to review I did not even plan to bring--I have never read or even heard of it before.
     And yet...I read it in four hours. No joke--I could not put it down.
     You excited yet? The title of the book is...BRUISER (dang--the post title stole my thunder. Stupid blog post title) by Neal Shusterman. Here's the (awesome) cover:
     Wow. That's all I have to say about this book. It is one of the freaking best books that I have ever read.
     Let me show you the inside cover blurb, cause it puts it alot better than I can, while still not giving away any secrets.
        
TENNYSON: 
Don’t get me started on The Bruiser.  He was voted “Most Likely to Get the Death Penalty” by the entire school. He’s the kid no one knows, no one talks to, and everyone hears disturbing rumors about.  So why is my sister, Brontë dating him?  One of these days she’s going to take in the wrong stray dog, and it’s not going to end well.

BRONTË:
My brother has no right to talk about Brewster that way – no right to threaten him.  There’s a reason why Brewster can’t have friends – why he can’t care about too many people.  Because when he cares about you, things start to happen.  Impossible things that can’t be explained.  I know, because they’re happening to me.

BREWSTER:
Stealer of screams and thief of anguish,  I am a criminal, but you can’t see it, blinded by your own relief as my body becomes a battlefield in a war that can’t be won.  Will I be the bullet that ends your pain, or will you end mine?

     Do you want to read it now? Well, you should. It's right up my alley, a story set firmly in our own world with one very large twist to reality. It's basically a YA fantasy/dystopian story with a contemporary voice. Is there a specific genre for that? Because that's totally what Flash is.
     Out of a possible ten stars, I give this sixteen. Definitely right up there with Candor and The Hunger Games. I will definitely be reading this book again. And I highly--very highly--reccommend that you read it, too.
     Now, I'm off to figure out Google+. Anyone want to enlighten me?

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the review it sounds great!

    If you figure out google+ you're going to have to explain it to me. Look me up!

    ReplyDelete

Nuggets of Wisdom